– by Don Batten
In the once-Christian world of ‘the West’, we seem to be awash in crazy thinking, which gets crazier by the day:
• Same-sex marriage
• Gender-bending ideology being taught to children in schools
• Laws being passed to erase one’s birth sex from birth certificates
• Regulations being enacted to make it an offense to call someone by a pronoun that reflects their biological sex when the person prefers ‘other’ gender pronouns (or even ‘non-gender’; neither male nor female)
• There is a movement to try to get equal rights for animals as for humans. There is even talk of ‘rights’ for robots
• Legalisation and promotion of abortion in the name of ‘Women’s rights’ that allow killing of a baby in his/her mother’s womb right up to the full term of the pregnancy
• The push for liberal euthanasia laws that facilitate the elimination of those who are deemed a burden on society
• Environmental regulations that protect man-destroying animals over humans
What is the root of this craziness?
These things are symptoms of peoples who have turned their backs on God, our Creator. The Apostle Paul says in Romans 1:18–21, “For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. For although they knew God, they did not honour Him as God or give thanks to Him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened.”
Abandoned God’s Word
When people abandon the knowledge of God, He gives them over to ‘futile thinking’, and we see it all around us today, as our nations have abandoned God and His Word, the Bible.
When we discredit the Bible as the foundation of our customs and laws, what do we lose?
1. We are made in the image of God
If we discredit the Bible, we lose that we are made in the image of God, and as such, that we are rational beings who can have logical thoughts. If we are a product of a random process, an explosion of nothing to produce everything (the ‘big bang’), where our brains are the product of billions of chance mutations, why should we trust our thoughts to be rational? And then there is no such thing as truth and we have the ‘post modern’ outlook that judges according to feelings and hurts, rather than any objective truth.
2. Human life is sacred
God made us in His image, meaning human life is ‘sacred’. Thus, Christians throughout history have cared for the unloved and the unlovable. It was Christians who adopted orphans and started hospitals, etc. Today, who are the forgotten, uncared for? For a start, think of the millions of innocent babies with their lives snuffed out in abortion.
3. God made us male and female
God did not make us an alphabet soup of genders. The modern gender bending ideology is ultimately an attack on God’s plan and purpose for us and for human flourishing.
4. We are fallen creatures
We need redemption through what the Lord Jesus Christ has done. Our fallen-ness manifests itself in all manner of deviations (sin) from God’s perfect purposes for us, but we have a wonderful hope available in Christ. That hope is expressed like this: “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.” – 2 Corinthians 5:17
DON BATTEN – Visit creation.com for more info
Article source: JOY! Magazine (May 2019)